Thursday 5 June 2008

Oxford Extravaganza

If last weekend wasn't enough travelling, the weekend that's just been I went down to Oxford for a formal hall exchange with St Hughes. All-in-all I enjoyed the experience, bar the hangover on the bus on the way back. We started our tour of Oxford at the market place, where Oxfam were out in strength. Our first port of call was the Bodleian Library, I got to admit I was quite surprised they'd let a group of Cambridge students in there, though apparently if you have an Oxford card you can invite 4 people. An interesting experience, though I couldn't help but feel embarassed when the librarian was looking at the Cambridge guys using flash photography in the library (idiots!).
We had a quick tour of the Radcliffe Camera and saw some people from one of the colleges doing a 24 hour ergo (30 mins on, I pitty the poor bugger having the 1-4am slots). One of the main points I've noticed about Oxford is that it is so much larger than Cambridge, however it is very similar (architecture, bikes wizzing by, loads of pubs etc) and you believe you're back in Cambridge expecting to see someone you know around the corner or in the high street. Anyway back to the story. We ended up going to Magdalene College to look at the chapel and the deer park. The chapel was nothing special, nor the deer park until we realised we were just looking at an overgrown field and in fact the deer park was to our left not right. The day was topped off with a Dim-Bar ice cream from G&D's and a drink down the pub followed by a cracking formal and late night party.

Sunday everyone was a little less enthusiastic, probably due the alcohol, so we all went for a walk around the botanical gardens and town to clear our head. We ended up spending most of our day in cafes and the natural science museum.

A highlight of the trip was that I came second in the bus quiz on the way back.

ps.

Cristiana if you're reading this, thanks for the apple. I like the golden delicious, whilst the granny smith are ok a little sharp for my taste buds, my favourite are probably the royal gala apples or pink lady.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for information, next time I'll make sure I'll get you the right apple :D!
Nice Oxford story, but now a question: what is 24 ergo anyway?

PS:Ah! yes, my name is Cristina, not Christina nor Cristiana

Ed Cannon said...

I don't know what a 24 ergo is. A 24 hour ergo is when someone sits on a rowing machine for 24 hours!

I'm glad you liked the story. OK, thanks Cristina.