Monday 11 August 2008

Bank Bureaucracy and the rest...

OK, so it has been just over a month since I last blogged. What have I been doing you may ask?

The short answer is: a lot!

Where to start?
  • I have been to Pembroke for a formal (the food was pretty nice, not a patch on Queens' though).
  • Got myself some new accommodation lined up (modern, ensuite, fairly close to the train station, department and the gym with wireless internet- 8mbp).
  • Joined Fenner's Gym- trying to go down about 3 times a week plus balance salsa and work.
  • Been down to Bar Salsa in London.
  • Went out to Volker's leaving do at Chillis Mexican Restaurant (another postdoc, who has just left Peter Murray-Rust's group, and joined BASF in Germany).
  • Got a new pair of shoes - laid back pair of brown shoes.
  • DVD - marathon -> I must have watched at least 5 DVDs over the last weekend (I would recommend watching Enemy at the Gates, Master & Commander is a bag of W***).
  • Clothes shopping - bought a new shirt.
Banking

I think I will start a fresh paragraph, so I can comment on the lameness of the Natwest bank. How hard should it be to transfer money from one account to another...my goodness! Transferring from an ISA to an internal reserve account is fine and also to the current account . But making a payment to a different account is a whole new kettle of fish!
The problem is that you need a card reader which they do not send in the post when you create an account. Nor do they tell you that the Natwest ISA no longer comes with a card to get money out of through the wall. Anyway after jumping through about 10K hoops to login to your online account, you then have to phone up an 0800 number and go through the whole security checks again...by this point in time I just wanted my money and went into the bank to complain. Having a reasonable amount of money locked away but not being able to access it is a pain in the buttocks!

The account now works finally! (On a different note, btw I have just received the pin after opening the account about 3 months ago).

Work seems to be going ok, I have now moved on from the ontologies to expand and develop the polymer builder. So far I have developed a much nicer interface. Later I intend to implement much of the functionality and extend it to include information generated from the OWL ontologies and the polymer repository.

Right I'm off down the gym..will speak soon.

Ed

ps.

Very jealous of someone in California!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awe dear, don't be jealous, is not too late. If you take Giovanni's advice, and start now taking steroids till you're 50 you'll look like Arnie and maybe they will even elect you as the governor of California :P!

I'll Be Back!

^_^